Wednesday 13 May 2015

Nodal Voltage Method (Nodal Analysis)



Nodal Voltage Method (Nodal Analysis)

In the nodal analysis method a reference node in the network is chosen. Then the unknown voltages at the other nodes are determined with respect to the reference node. After determining the node voltages, currents in all branches can be calculated. This method of circuit analysis is suitable where a network has a number of loops, and hence a large number of simultaneous equations are to be solved. The procedure for the node voltage method is explained through an example.
Example 1.For the circuit shown in Fig. 2.29 determine the voltages at nodes B and C and calculate the current through the 8 Ω resistor.

images

Figure 2.29

Solution:
We will take one reference node at zero potential. Generally the node at which maximum branches are meeting is taken as the reference node. Let R is the reference node as shown in Fig. 2.30. The reference node will be called ground node or zero potential node.

images

Figure 2.30

Points F, G, R, H, I are at zero reference potential. Let us now assign potential at all nodes with respect to the reference node. Let VD, VB, VC, VE are the potentials at points D, B, C, and E, respectively. Let us also assume unknown currents II, I2, I3, I4, and I5flowing through the branches.
Applying Ohm’s law currents I1, I2, I3, I4, and I5 are expressed as

images

To find I3, we assume potential at point k as VK. We can write, VK + 3 = VB

images

Applying KCL at node B,

images

images

images

images

images

Solving eqs. (i) and (ii), we get

images

and current in 8 Ω resistor,

images

More problems using this method have been solved separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment